Follow by Email

Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Might as Well Have Anarchy: Most People Already Live it


Lately I have realized a fundamental error in my thinking. This I believe is my frequent perception that everyone has an equal capacity for self government and delayed gratification. I operate relatively harmoniously in my daily life and am generally good at directing my own activities toward my benefit and the circumscription of my desires. However, most people of my millennial generation seem to fail in this regard, and in fact those who came before— the generation of 68 and beyond have failed as well. They remain adolescent or  even childish in terms of ability to restrict pleasure.

The notion that you may want to postpone indulgence, or that not enjoying something may be just as desirable as enjoying it in full is beyond their capacity to comprehend.

Such a distinction as is made by Peter Hitchens between happiness and pleasure reaches beyond the understanding of many of my contemporaries. The attachment to here and now leads to this confusion.

This has led me to an even greater and more terrifying speculation. . . . that our laws, and my conservatism and any other attempt to circumscribe our desires for the sake of orderly living is essentially meaningless. Why meaningless? Because the spirit that directed us toward higher aspirations and the transcendental struggle against our base natures has vanished. What good is a reintroduction of any law that attempts to circumscribe morally illicit behavior if not even the conservatives amongst us will give it countenance? What can one do with a whole generation who sees no purpose in living for tomorrow or the past and will only agitate if you were to put in place the legal conditions necessary to maintain a compact between past and present

No law would seemingly survive its total rejection of the majority. Since the 1960’s and possible earlier the population of the western world has let its love of self and love of its appetites supersede its love for each other.

The war on the inside must come first. In order to have a conservative orderly, moral, and traditional society, we first need a society which is willing to turn toward permanent things and embrace them. Until the church, the past, asceticism and aestheticism have a place in the hearts of most, attempts to rebuild an ethical nation will fail and that is a horrifying prospect.