Follow by Email

Sunday, 2 August 2015

A Libertarian Critique of Burke (Link)



I was perusing the internet at work specifically a review of "Reflections on the Revolution in France," (which I just purchased) and found this unique, and coherent critique of Burke's ideas. Reading these posts has only furthered my anticipation of reading such a historic book while also convincing me that I may need to purchase various other texts mentioned in the passages.

It of even greater interest to me because, like Russel Kirk, I view libertarianism as the #1 threat to an accurate public perception of conservatism, and I fear that libertarian ideas are so deeply ingrained in North American conservatism that we have no recourse but to appeal to both classic texts and some contiental writers to free us from the American miasma hanging over the conservative disposition. So read and enjoy. The link is above and here as well:

http://www.libertarianism.org/columns/edmund-burke-intellectuals-french-revolution-part-1